Kelly & Associates Injury Lawyers can help you find out if you might be eligible to pursue financial damages for your losses from a slip and fall accident in Lynn, MA. If you were hurt on someone else’s property, a personal injury lawyer can help.
If we take your case, you can focus on recuperating from your injuries while we take care of the rest. We work hard to protect your right to compensation. Call us today at 1-800-LAW-GUYS to get started.
The Landowner’s Duty
Massachusetts state law requires owners of commercial and private property to take reasonable measures to perform needed repairs and maintenance to keep the area safe for people who enter the premises legally. When a landowner lets the property fall into disrepair, he can be liable to people who are hurt as a result.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Many factors can lead to a person getting hurt by slipping and falling or tripping and falling. Here are some examples of common causes of these accidents:
- Holes and other objects that create tripping hazards
- Recently mopped floors
- Broken steps or handrails
- Oil or other liquids on the floor
- Breaks in the sidewalk
- Torn or bunched-up carpet
- Obstructed view of hazards
We cannot possibly list everything here that could cause a person to slip and fall. If the cause of your accident is not on this list, call a slip and fall lawyer in Lynn, MA at 1-800-LAW-GUYS to see if you might be eligible for financial damages.
Elements of Liability
You do not automatically qualify for compensation if you were hurt on someone else’s property. The injury must be the result of the property owner’s negligence for that owner to be liable for your losses. We will have to prove all three of these factors to hold the landowner responsible:
- There was a dangerous condition on the property.
- The owner knew or should have known about the hazard.
- The owner did not take reasonable measures to fix the problem or post sufficient warnings to prevent injuries.
The property owner is negligent if all three elements are present. If the negligence caused a person to get hurt, the owner is liable for your damages.
Let’s say that a restaurant in Lynn keeps the lighting dimmed for ambiance at dinnertime. There are electrical cords on the floor in an area where patrons have to walk to get to the restrooms. Because of the color of the carpet and the dim lighting, it is hard to see the cables.
Diners trip on these cords regularly. The manager ignores the complaints and takes no measures to relocate the cords to prevent people from tripping. A customer trips on the cords and hits his head on a table during the fall, resulting in a traumatic brain injury.
Let’s evaluate the store’s responsibility by walking through the three factors of liability:
- There was a dangerous condition on the property. Yes, the cords on the floor in a dimly lit area presented a tripping hazard.
- The owner knew or should have known about the hazard. Yes, the owner received complaints about the condition, so he did know about the situation.
- The owner did not take reasonable measures to fix the problem or post sufficient warnings to prevent injuries. Yes, the owner did nothing to correct the danger. He could have moved the cords or secured them appropriately.
The restaurant was negligent, and this carelessness caused a patron to get hurt. The owner will be liable for the customer’s damages.
Common Injuries From Slip and Fall or Trip and Fall Accidents
Every situation is unique, and you might experience a different kind of injury. Here are some of the most common types of harm that people sustain in slip or trip and fall accidents:
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
If your injuries were the result of a slip or trip and fall in which the owner was careless, a slip and fall lawyer in Lynn, MA can go after money damages..
Damages in Lynn, MA, Slip and Fall Accidents
We cannot say how much compensation you are likely to receive because every slip and fall claim is different.. The damages that you can get will depend on the facts of your case.
Here are some examples of the types of compensation we have won for our clients:
- Medical bills to treat your injuries. These expenses can include things like the ambulance, emergency room, doctors, surgery, hospital, physical therapy, and prescription drugs.
- Lost wages for the time that you missed from work without pay while recuperating from your injuries. This can include wages, salary, self-employment, and other forms of income.
- Pain and suffering, for the physical pain and emotional distress you endured.
Your case might involve additional losses. We will investigate your accident to discover all the possible items for which you can get compensation.