Were you or a loved one injured after a slip and fall accident in Attleboro, MA? You are not alone. Every year, millions of people suffer injuries as a result of slip and fall accidents. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 800,000 people are hospitalized every year as a result of falling.
If your injuries were the result of someone else’s careless actions, they should be held responsible for your damages. The team at Michael Kelly Injury Lawyers is here to stand up for your rights and to help you pursue compensation for the fullest extent of your injuries. Call today at (800) LAW-GUYS for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Typical Injuries Slip and Fall Accidents in Attleboro, MA
There are a wide variety of injuries that can be sustained as a result of a slip and fall. The CDC reports that one out of five falls causes serious injury, including head injuries or broken bones. While this list is not exhaustive, some of the more common injuries from slip and fall accidents include:
- Head injuries: Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injury (TBI). TBI could be just a minor concussion or could result in a severe injury that causes changes in mood, cognitive impairment, or other symptoms of brain damage.
- Hip fractures: More than 95 percent of hip fractures happen as a result of falling. A hip fracture typically requires hospitalization and surgery as well as an extensive recovery period with bed rest.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: Slip and fall accidents often result in slipped or herniated discs or fractured vertebrae. These can lead to mobility problems, chronic pain, or paralysis.
- Shoulder injuries: This type of accident may result in shoulder dislocation, which must be treated with surgery and physical therapy.
- Sprains and fractures: Twisted knees, sprained ankles, and broken bones can take a long time to heal and result in time spent away from work.
If you have lost a family member because of a slip and fall, you may be entitled to recover additional damages for your loss. Some of the damages that the families of victims can pursue include:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral costs
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of wages and benefits from the deceased
- Loss of protection and support from the deceased
- Pain and suffering
If you have lost a family member after a slip and fall accident, contact Michael Kelly Injury Lawyers today at (800) LAW-GUYS. Our compassionate team is here to help you navigate the painful process of recovering damages after the loss of a loved one.
Damages You May Recover After a Slip and Fall Accident
While damages will vary based on the details of your case, some of the damages that the victims of slip and fall accidents are often able to recover include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anxiety
- Cost of future medical treatments
- Future wages if you cannot return to work
You and your family do not need to be responsible for these costs. If someone else’s careless actions led to your accident, you have the right to pursue compensation for your losses.
Establishing Liability in Your Slip and Fall Case
A slip and fall accident can occur at any time, from your place of employment to the grocery store. The ability to recover damages after a slip and fall accident in Attleboro, MA, hinges on your ability to establish liability.
There are some basic guidelines that are considered when establishing liability in a slip and fall case:
- Was the owner of the property aware of the dangerous surface?
- Did the owner cause the surface to be dangerous through inaction or lack of appropriate maintenance?
- Would a reasonable person have known that the surface was dangerous and taken action to remove the danger?
- Did the owner post signs or take other proactive measures to warn guests of the hazard?
For a free evaluation of your case, and to learn more about options you have available, contact Michael Kelly Injury Lawyers at (800) LAW-GUYS.